righton Bowling Club was originally formed on the 18th May 1892 following a meeting of the Brighton Council Recreation Committee passing a resolution on the 21st October 1891 that a Bowling Green be laid down in Preston Park at an estimated cost of £15. The members consisted of 46 local councilors who hired the green at a cost of 10 guineas in 1892.The members subscription was set at ½ guinea per annum.
In 1896 a pavilion was built and matches were being played against Portsmouth Bowling Club both home and away all attended by the Mayor. In 1904 the club visited Crystal Palace to play against the London County Club captained by Dr W.G.Grace.
The club moved to its present rink and pavilion on 1st May 1937 at a rental of £75 per annum; in 1941 we had 68 members and won 11 of 14 inter-club matches.
In 1953 the N.A.L.G.O club members joined as evening members and in 1976 the N.A.L.G.O members amalgamated fully with the Brighton club (Geoff Maskell was one of the original N.A.L.G.O members).
The Club joined the Brighton Bowls League in 1974 and won the Bill Hawkins Trophy in 1978 for all League clubs, and we have been runners up in 2000. In 2016 we won the Edward Rowland Memorial Trophy.
In the early hours of New Years Day 1988 the pavilion was badly damaged by fire which was suspected arson and many of our original records were lost. A further fire damaged our new changing facility on Good Friday 2005 but due to the clubs strong spirit and the determination of our members the damage was repaired before the start of the 2005 season.
Since 1992 the club has continued to go from strength to strength both in numbers and quality of bowling.
During the past few years we have performed well in the County Competitions.
Ladies became full members in 2000 and in common with most clubs most of our friendly matches are played on a mixed basis.
Our club maintains a very friendly and not too serious atmosphere for which we are renowned and this is bolstered by a strong competitive spirit.